The living room is where you welcome guests, play games with friends, relax in front of the TV, and hold important family meetings. Because your living room sees so much action, it needs to be a versatile space. You want this room to blend functionality, comfortability, and beauty.
If you are struggling to achieve the right look for your living room, keep these tips in mind. Whether you add a nice new rug or install a lovely electric fireplace, your living room will be better off.
Optimize Your Layout
The first step to decorating your living room is measuring the space and optimizing its layout. Decide which point of the room you want to make the focal point and work from there. You might want to draw the eye towards a fireplace, television, piece of art, or even a coffee table. To do that, place your seating so that it faces and/or surrounds the focal point.
Be sure to keep conversational space in mind. Seating that is too close or too far can make get-togethers awkward or inconvenient.
One last note on the layout of your living room: take care with the size and placement of your rug. The rug should be large enough to surpass your sofa and/or chairs by at least a few inches. Even if your living room is carpeted, a beautiful rug can anchor the space and provide visual contrast.
Invest in Fine Art
A large, interesting piece of fine art is the perfect focal point. But how can you settle on one piece when the options are virtually endless?
The truth is, the great, big world of art can be intimidating—for anyone. Follow these tips to narrow your choices. You’ll find a quality piece that ties your living room together:
- Look for artwork with colors that match your aesthetic.
- Go big. If you can’t find a large piece that catches your eye, consider a gallery wall of smaller pieces.
- Shop for quality pieces. It’s okay to shop from lesser-known artists; just be sure they work with quality materials.
- Choose artwork that makes you happy.
A beautiful piece of art is a great way to express yourself and add personality to your living room.
Add Windows to Brighten the Space
Every room looks better with natural light. If your living room is lacking in large, spacious windows, consider an upgrade. Odds are, your living room is one of the biggest, if not the biggest, spaces in the house. This means it can likely accommodate your home’s biggest windows.
You can add new windows or simply enlarge existing ones. Either way, you will add to the natural light and feeling of openness of your living room. Of course, there are a few factors to consider when you upgrade your windows; a quality contractor will be able to walk you through the process.
Choose a Friendly Color Palette
The exact color scheme you choose for your living room will depend on your personal taste. Most homeowners opt for a palette that is warm and welcoming. If you need help narrowing down your options, this information will send you in the right direction:
- White is a color that is both bright and classy. If you lean towards a modern, rustic, or bohemian aesthetic, white could be your color. But keep in mind that white is high maintenance and may show signs of wear faster than other colors.
- Brown is the perfect choice for homeowners who want to create a safe and earthy vibe. Just be sure to incorporate some blues and golds to keep the space from feeling too drab and dark.
- Green living rooms are serene and friendly and work well with natural wood floors or rustic furniture. It’s only drawback is that it may be too bright for neutral-loving homeowners.
- Blue is a calming and versatile color. If you want to create a neutral space, but would love to incorporate some pops of color, blue is a great go-to.
There truly is no wrong answer when it comes to selecting a color scheme for your living room. Simply determine the mood you would like to set for the space. From there, you can opt for colors that make the kind of impact you have in mind.
Install an Electric Fireplace
A warm electric fireplace will greatly improve the appeal of your living room. Nothing is more inviting than a cozy fire next to comfortable seating. Whether you have plenty of space or just a little, a holographic fireplace can be customized to fit in naturally.
If you want to place your electric fireplace underneath a mantel or television, that can be easily accomplished. This fixture doesn’t have to dominate the space; it can be tucked away or made center stage.
Be Creative with Storage
A cluttered living room can appear uninviting. To optimize your storage and keep everything in its place, you may need to get creative. Try these ideas to keep your living room organized:
- Double-duty furniture can provide a functional and stylish solution to your storage needs. An end table with a magazine rack or an ottoman that stores toys or blankets will do the trick.
- Built-in bookshelves can be customized to your space. You can use the shelves to store books and photographs in a decorative way.
- Large baskets can hold throw blankets, books, firewood, and more. You can opt for baskets made of wire, woven rattan, coiled cotton rope, and other beautiful materials.
- Beautiful finds from your local thrift shop may also do the trick. You can convert a large trunk into a storage coffee table or a large antique vase into an umbrella holder.
With a little effort and creativity, you can create all the storage space you need for your living room. Done right, these storage additions will only add to the beauty of your living room decor.
Replace Your Old Sofa
No living room is complete without comfortable seating. If you have been watching movies from an old sofa, stiff futon, or creaky recliner, invest in some quality replacement furniture.
For living rooms with plenty of space, a plush sectional is a perfect choice. If your living room is on the smaller side, a new sofa with soft throw pillows and an accent chair will do the job. Whatever you choose, make comfort the top priority.
Live Comfortably in Your Living Room
There is no reason your living room can’t be both beautiful and comfortable. With a carefully planned layout, creative storage additions, and a cozy electric fireplace, your living room will be the perfect place to make memories.
Now that your living room is decorated to perfection, all that’s left is for you to enjoy the space. Plan a family game night or invite some friends over for popcorn and a movie. Your living room will be ready to welcome your loved ones.